Anyone else love their iced coffees and iced lattes? Especially on a hot summer afternoon?
And especially if they’re mocha iced lattes? So yum.
The problem with coffee shop iced lattes and coffees is not only the price, but who knows what’s in them? If you’re not careful, you’ll be ingesting a bunch of unnecessary and potentially harmful sugar, fat, and processed food products (1).
Also, they really don’t do very much for you nutritionally.
That’s why I came up with this iced protein coffee recipe, which you can rev up to make a full-on latte if you want. It lets me enjoy my afternoon treat guilt-free. It’s low in sugar, has a favorable macronutrient profile (fats/carbs/protein), and is pretty darn tasty.
Adding protein not only adds some extra creaminess to this recipe, but protein helps keep your blood sugar stable as well as helping you to stay fuller, longer. Not only that, but if you are trying to lose weight, it’s important to eat an adequate amount of protein so you can maintain your muscle (2).
If you’re staying away from caffeine, this is just as delicious with decaf coffee. You also could make it with a coffee substitute, such as Teeccino or chicory root, although honestly neither of them will impart the true coffee flavor. But they’re close.
Here’s a recipe for a Starbucks-like mocha Frappuccino, revved up with some extra protein.
I personally like to use Sun Warrior’s plant-based Warrior Blend protein in my beverages.
- 1 cup double-strength coffee, cooled
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional cocoa powder for garnish (I like the dutch processed, which is a little milder tasting than regular, more bitter, cocoa powder)
- 1 scoop Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Ice cubes
- Mix the cocoa and protein powder into the milk, mixing it as smooth as you can.
- Place the coffee mixture into a blender with the ice and blend till smooth.
- For a richer coffee taste, freeze cooled coffee in an ice cube tray and use a couple cubes in place of plain ice.
Try it and Let me know!
Do you have any recipes or snacks you’d like to see healthy-ed up? Have you created healthier versions of your favorites? I’d love to hear about it. Hit me up!
Stop Dieting. Start Enjoying.
Ready to feel better and lose weight without having to go on a strict eating plan?
Get my free 5-day online course, designed to help free you of food "rules."